Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world. It has 88.000 words and it is one of the six official languages of the United Nations (UN), that is why in this article some curiosities about this beautiful language will be mentioned:
- There are 572 million Spanish-speakers in the world, of which 477 million gotSpanish as their native language.
- The pronoun “de”(of in English) is the most used Spanish-word, in second place is “la” (the in English) and the third one is “que” (that).
- The word “electroencefalografista” has 23 letters and is the longest word in Spanish according to the RAE, but it is only because the word “supercalifragilisticoespialidoso” with 32 letters and “parangaricutirimiacuaro” with 23, are not added.
- In Mexico, the longest official registered name has 36 letters and is “Brhadaranyakopanishadvivekachudamani”. Although it does not come from Spanish it is an interesting curiosity and it is the combination of two Hindu names.
- Some words that we took from the Arabic are:
- Alhaja: This means “need” and it is referred to furniture and clothing.
- Alcohol: That refers to a make-up that is diluted and then it was used to refer to the distillation product.
- Ojalá: This means the same as saying “God willing”.
- You need five letters to write down the number “5”.
- Some words that have the five vowels are: murciélago (bat), ayuntamiento (council), Aurelio (proper name) and adulterio (adultery).
What do you think about this curiosities? Do you know another curiosity that has not been mentioned here? It is important to preserve and know our language because the number of speakers has been growing and this will have a huge impact in our lives.